A BRIEF HISTORY OF OVAC
In 1959 a group of vintage car enthusiasts gathered to form a car club that would become known as Olympic Vintage Automobile Association (OVAA). They gathered in various members homes while they developed the framework of that organization. During this time they remained active participating in tours, car displays, picnics, trips and various other activities. In the early '60s OVAA assimilated anther auto club, the Rally Masters, and when the dust had settled out of the merger, the new club incorporated under the name of Olympic Vintage Auto Club.
The year 1965 began with what was to be the first of many Swap Meets. The first Swap Meet was held after the February meeting in the parking lot of the Sheridan Community Center. Another noteworthy event for this year was the first newsletter published under the name of "The Duster".
In 1967 the club began discussions on planning a larger club sponsored Swap Meet. This planning effort continued amidst the normal club activities including a brief TV appearance on Cable channel 3. In 1969 the first Club sponsored Swap Meet was held on the third weekend on November at the Peninsula Arena near Port Orchard. This continued until 1971 when the event moved to its current location at the Kitsap County Fairgrounds just outside of Silverdale, WA. Over the years the club has remained active, hosting many Vintage Car related events, including some notable events such at the opening of the Original Hood Canal Bridge and as extras in the series Northern Exposure.
OVAC remains active today and the swap Meet has grown to be one of the largest automotive events in the county. This event draws thousands of buyers and car buffs from all over the Northwest and vendors from as far away as Wisconsin. Along with the many Auto Events, the club supports a number of local charities and automotive related scholarships.